Information We Collect
When you access or use the Services from or through your smart phone, tablet, computer or other device (each, a “Device"), or when you install the Services on your Device and register with Hint to become a member, personally identifiable information about you will be collected. This collection may occur at different times and for different purposes as explained below.
Some of the Services require us to know who you are so that we can better meet your needs. When you access these Services, we may ask you to voluntarily provide us certain information that personally identifies (or could be used to personally identify) you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information includes (but is not limited to) the following categories of information:
- contact data (such as your name, email address and phone number);
- demographic data (such as your gender, your date of birth and your zip code);
- medical data (such as the Healthcare Providers you have visited or have indicated that you would like to visit, your reasons for visit, your dates of visit, and other medical and health information you choose to share with us),
- banking or credit card data (such as credit or debit card numbers and bank routing and account numbers) and
- other information that you voluntarily choose to provide to us, including without limitation unique identifiers such as passwords, location information, and Personal Information in emails or letters that you send to us.
You may still access and use some of the Services if you choose not to provide us with any Personal Information, but the features of the Services that require your Personal Information will not be accessible to you.
Below are examples of some of the types of Personal Information that we collect:
Download and Registration
When you download the mobile application that is part of the Services you are requested to register with us. For registration through Hint, you are only required to provide your name and email address You may also provide other Personal Information, but that is optional. In order to use other parts of the Services, you will be required to provide additional information. For example, if you wish to schedule a consultation with a Healthcare Provider or post photos of procedures performed by a Healthcare Provider, you will first need to provide your [mailing address and] phone number. When you log in using your Facebook account, we collect additional information you make available to us (see “Your User Profile" below).
We may request access to your current location – provided by your mobile device using GPS or similar technologies – so that we can provide content that is more suitable to your location. You are free to accept or block access to your location information. You can switch off access to your location at any time through your account settings or your device settings menu.
We collect and store certain profile information including your name, address, business and/or personal mailing address, business and/or personal telephone number and mobile number, photograph (if you login to the Service from Facebook), areas of interest, country of residence and preferences. As part of ecommerce transaction, we will be storing your payment information through a 3rd party payment provider. In the case of Healthcare Providers, we may also collect and store information including your professional qualification, areas of interest, area(s) of expertise, education history, professional affiliations and other biographical information.
We may automatically collect and store certain data when you use and interact with the Services, such as the:
- IP address;
- domain server;
- type of device(s) used to access the Services (including operating system version, unique device identifier, browser type and version, mobile network information);
- web browser(s) used to access the Services;
- referring webpage or other source through which you accessed the Services;
- geolocation information; and
- other statistics and information associated with the interaction between your browser or device and the Services (collectively “Traffic Data”). Depending on applicable law, some Traffic Data may be Personal Information.
We may also collect additional information, which may be Personal Information, as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
Below are examples of some of the types of traffic data information that we collect:
When we serve an advertisement to your device, we collect information about your interaction with this advertisement to help us evaluate the performance of the advertisement that we show, such as whether you clicked on it or installed the advertised product. The third parties that serve these advertisements may also collect other information about your interaction with an advertisement. This collection and the subsequent use of this information by these third parties is subject to these third parties' privacy policies over which Hint has no control.
Shared Text, Photos, Videos and Other Communications
The Services allow you to share photos, videos and other communications with others, and if you choose to share your photos, videos and/or other communications, such items will be stored on our servers in accordance with our data retention policies.
If you choose to share these items with others, we may not be able to remove them from our servers or make them unavailable to anyone you have shared them with. Sending photos, videos and/or other communications through the Services is your decision. By choosing to share that information, you should understand that you may no longer be able to control how that information is used and that it will become public information. Hint is not responsible for any use or misuse of information you share.
Error Reporting Information
We also collect error-reporting information if the Services crash or hang up so that we can investigate the error and improve the stability of the Services. In general these reports do not contain Personal Information, or do so only incidentally. As part of these error reports, we receive information about the type and version of your device and browser, the device identifier, the time the error occurred, the feature being used and the state of the application when the error occurred. We do not use this information for any purpose other than investigating and remedying the error.
HIPAA, PHI and Sensitive Confidential Information
The Services are not designed for or intended to handle any sensitive confidential information, including any identifiable patient information that is subject to any security requirements under any law, such as race or ethnic origin, political opinions, personal finances, religious or other similar beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, educational records, sexual preferences or tendencies, or criminal record (“Sensitive Confidential Information”). DO NOT SEND SENSITIVE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION TO HINT OR USE THE SERVICES TO HANDLE ANY SENSITIVE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION IN ANY WAY.
How We Collection Information
We may collect [and store] information, including Personal Information and Traffic Data, from (1) your use and interaction with the Services, (2) Tracking Tools (defined below), and (3) third party sources, such as the following:
Your Use and Interaction with the Services
- When you use the Services’ interactive tools and services, such as searching for Healthcare Providers, searching for available appointments with Healthcare Providers and completing a Medical History Form and other intake forms prior to Healthcare Provider consultation appointments;
- When you use the Services’ interactive tools and services, such as submitting a review, rating or other response regarding your experience with a Healthcare Provider, procedure or product;
- When you voluntarily provide information through responses to surveys, questionnaires, and the like;
- If you download and install certain applications and software we make available, we may receive and collect information transmitted from your device for the purpose of providing you the relevant Services, such as information that lets us know when you are logged on and available to receive update or alert notices;
- If you download our mobile application, we may receive information about your location and mobile device; and
- When you use the “Contact Us” function on the Site, send us an email or otherwise contact us.
The Tracking Tools that we may use and how we may use them include:
OUR COOKIES DO NOT AND CANNOT INFILTRATE A USER'S HARD DRIVE TO GATHER A USER'S CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. Our cookies are not “spyware.”
For more information on cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
“Web Beacons” (a.k.a. clear GIFs or pixel tags) are tiny graphic image files imbedded in a web page or email that may be used to collect anonymous information about your use of our Services, the websites of selected advertisers and the emails, special promotions or newsletters that we send you. The information collected by Web Beacons allows us to monitor how many people are using the Services, using the selected advertisers' websites or opening our emails, and for what purpose, and also allows us to enhance our interest-based advertising.
We may use third-party website analytics services in connection with the Services, including, for example, to record mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity and text that you type into the Services. These website analytics services generally do not collect Personal Information unless you voluntarily provide it and generally do not track your browsing habits across websites which do not use their services. We use the information collected from these services to help make the Services easier to use and as otherwise set forth herein (see “How We Use Information” below).
Mobile Device Identifiers
Mobile device identifiers are data stored on your mobile device that can be used to track your mobile device and data and activities occurring on and through it, as well as the applications installed on it. Mobile device identifiers enable collection of Personal Information (such as media access control, address and location) and Traffic Data. As with other Tracking Tools, mobile device identifiers help Hint learn more about our users’ demographics and internet behaviors.
How We Use Information
We use your information, including Personal Information, to provide the Services that you request and to help improve them, including to:
- Verify your identity;
- Provide you with the Services and information you request, and respond to correspondence that we receive from you;
- Automatically share certain information (your name, email address, mailing address and phone number) with Healthcare Providers who require this information in order to schedule any consultations that you may request;
- Provide, maintain, administer or expand the Services, perform business analyses, or for other internal purposes to support, improve or enhance our business, the Services, and other products and services we offer;
- Contact you when necessary or requested, including to remind you of an upcoming appointment with a Healthcare Provider;
- Notify via email, SMS or otherwise for the purpose of informing you about new Healthcare Providers, procedures, products, services or promotions offered by Hint (you can opt-out of such emails by clicking on the unsubscribe link, withhold your consent to receive an SMS or reply stop to an SMS in order to receive future SMSs);
- Understand how you use the different features of the Services, including what your preferences are, and send you information about Hint or our products or Services that we think will interest you according to your preferences;
- Customize and tailor your experience of the Services;
- Show you the usernames and profiles of the Hint users with whom you communicate and to show your username and profile to such users with whom you communicate on the Services;
- Manage your account, deliver to you any administrative notices, updates, notifications, alerts and communications relevant to your use of the Services;
- Solicit information from you, including through surveys;
- Use statistical information that we collect in any way permitted by law, including from third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts;
- Prevent, detect and investigate security breaches and potentially illegal or prohibited activities.
We may use information that is neither Personal Information nor PHI (including non-PHI Personal Information that has been de-identified and/or aggregated) for any reason at our sole discretion.
With Whom We Share Your Information
- We may share your Personal Information with Healthcare Providers with whom you choose to schedule consultations through the Services. For example, if you elect to complete a Medical History Form using the Services in advance of an appointment, we may share your Medical History Form with your Healthcare Providers. You also may choose to store but not share with Hint your Medical History Form.
- We may share your Personal Information with your Healthcare Providers to enable them to refer you to and make appointments with other Healthcare Providers on your behalf or to perform analyses on potential health issues or treatments, provided that you choose to use the applicable Services.
- We may share your Personal Information with Healthcare Providers in the event of an emergency.
In certain instances, Hint may have contracts with third parties to provide Hint with services and/or products in connection with the Services. In those cases, Hint may share your Personal Information with these third-party service providers, or authorize them to collect information on its behalf, but only in connection with providing the services to you or Hint. For example, these third party service providers include:
- Third party SMS and email providers who deliver the authentication SMS or email to you when you register with the Services and with whom Hint shares your phone number or email;
- Third party vendors that collect, aggregate and organize your information to make it more easily accessible to your Healthcare Providers;
- Third party vendors who provides services or functions on our behalf, such as hosting, business analytics, customer service, marketing and advertising, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, data storage or security, and fraud prevention;
- Third party vendors who help us perform analytics using Tracking Tools (detailed above).
We may disclose information that is neither Personal Information nor PHI (including non-PHI Personal Information that has been de-identified and/or aggregated) for any reason at our sole discretion.
Links to Other Websites
These third parties may include business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be offered through our Services. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service that you have requested because their name will appear, either alone or with ours.
Aggregate and Anonymous Information
We may also share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of users our mobile application receives. This information does not contain any personal information, and is used to develop content and services that we hope you will find of interest.
We do not sell users’ email addresses to third parties.
Your account username (not your email address) is displayed to other Hint users when you submit comments, articles or send messages through the Services and other Hint users can contact you through messages and comments.
Display of Tailored Advertising
We allow third parties with which we have a separate agreement to use certain technologies to collect information about the placement, views and clicks of their advertisements, so that they can better serve interest-based advertisements to our users and visitors. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on the Services; (2) attribution partners who help us measure effectiveness of certain advertisements; and (3) advertising networks, which collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of their advertisements. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your interests or preferences so that they can display advertisements on the Services and on other sites across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests.
Do Not Track Policy
California law requires that operators of websites and online services disclose how they respond to a Do Not Track signal and whether other third parties may collect personally identifiable information about an individual's online activities from their site or service.
Some browsers (including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome) incorporate a “Do Not Track" (“DNT”) or similar feature that signals to websites that a visitor does not want to have his/her online activity and behavior tracked. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret DNT signals, the Services do not currently respond to DNT signals. We continue to work with the online industry to define a common understanding of how to treat DNT signals. However, if you want your use of the Services not to be tracked so that we cannot send you targeted advertisements, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The business partners and advertising networks that serve interest-based advertisements on the Services have limited access to a small amount of information about your profile and your device, which is necessary to serve you advertisements that are tailored to your apparent interests, and it is possible that they may reuse this small amount of information on other sites or services.
Controlling Your Personal Information
You can always control what information you choose to share with us on the Services. To do so, you can change your settings in the Services or in your mobile device. Alternatively, you can remove the Services from your mobile device entirely.
You can remove your data (including any photos or videos that you have posted on the Services and/or any review, rating or other response that you have posted on the Services) anytime you want by sending a request to Hint at email@example.com. If you ask us to delete your account, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to remove your data from our servers, however certain information may be retained in our back-up or archival systems. Please note that, after your account is closed, we may retain certain information associated with your account, including for analytical purposes as well as for record-keeping integrity.
Security of Personal Information and Payment Information
Protecting user privacy and Personal Information is a top priority for us. When you become a member of Hint, you or your Healthcare Provider may provide us with banking or credit card information. We make substantial efforts to ensure the privacy and security of all Personal Information you provide to us, including your payment information. Access to all Personal Information is restricted to those individuals who need to know that information in order to provide, operate, develop, maintain, support, or improve the Services. Hint uses password protection, access logs, and system monitoring to safeguard the confidentiality and security of all member information. All payment information has an additional layer of security and encryption through a payment processor, Stripe, which uses bank-level security and encryption.
The Services are not intended for use by children under the age of [eighteen (18)] and such children are prohibited from using the Services. We do not knowingly collect or maintain Personal Information from children under the age of [eighteen (18)] as part of the Services. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received Personally Information from a user under the age of [eighteen (18)] as part of the Services, we will use that information only to respond directly to that user (or his/her parent or legal guardian) to inform the user that he/she cannot use the Services and subsequently we will delete such information from our records. If we change our practices in the future, we will obtain prior, verifiable parental consent before collecting any Personal Information from children under the age of [eighteen (18)] as part of the Services
Notification of Changes
5820 Stoneridge Mall Rd., Suite 211
Pleasanton, CA 94588